Security issue in Terminal

Guido Berhoerster gber at opensuse.org
Wed Mar 7 23:49:45 CET 2012

* Brian Waters <brianmwaters at gmail.com> [2012-03-07 19:49]:
> Whether or not it's a security issue generally is definitely
> debatable. For certain users, though, it's definitely an issue and I
> hope they would switch to xterm or something similar for the time
> being.

Switching to xterm will not gain you any additional security as
the scrollback memory can be swapped out and thus end up on disk,
too. If you deal with any sensitive documents where that becomes
an issue you need to encrypt your filesystems, everything else is
just eyewash and pseudosecurity.

> A nice way that VTE could handle this would be to have a configure
> option for that behavior, which could be added to our terminal and
> others. Whether or not that makes sense given the way scrollback is
> implemented, I don't know. We'll see!

It already has, you can disable the scrollback buffer in Terminal
preferences.
--
Guido Berhoerster