"semi-session" with Xquartz

Jean-François Dagenais jeff.dagenais at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 18:44:58 CEST 2012

Thanks for your response, see below...
On 2012-06-04, at 9:18 AM, killermoehre wrote:

> Am 04.06.2012 14:35, schrieb Jean-François Dagenais:
>> Hi all,
> Hi jfd
>> Looking for some help for a special scenario...
>>
>> I'm a mac user. I like the basic apps in Mac OS X. I develop linux software. I
>> am trying to get the best of both worlds. My development is hosted on a decent
>> workstation, while I want to use my old macbook pro as a terminal.
>>
>> I run Xquartz ( and thus xquartz-wm) on the mac. I established ssh X11
>> forwarding ( or NX or xauth cookie) correctly. I want to get an xfce session
>> going, but certain features are unwanted and/or disturbing.
>>
>> Using Xubuntu (Oneiric), my current approach is to just invoke "xfce-session". I
>> then went into the settings manager and disabled a few things in the session
>> startup. The current annoyances are that xfdesktop always launches. I fixed it
>> by replacing xfdesktop with a dummy bash script which sleeps. Also, I don't have
>> management of USB devices and administrative (policykit) things like the update
>> manager don't always work properly.
>>
>> At least xfwm4 realizes xquartz-wm is managing my windows and quits with a
>> warning without further interfering.
>>
>> So specific questions: - how do I completely prevent xfdesktop from being
>> started?  - what do I launch to get my USB stuff going correctly (auto appears
>> in thunar)?  - what's missing so policykit things run smooth?
> You could just deinstall xfdesktop, or you create a dummy-launcher in /usr/local/bin. Or you kill it in xfce4-session-manager and saves your session.
> If you want to have console kit enabled, start your session with »ck-launch-sessions startxfce4«
Thanks for that, I'm getting much better behaviour.
I don't really want to uninstall xfdesktop because its kinda needed for when the machine is used directly. I have the dummy while true sleep 99999 script called xfdesktop that seems to work. Doesn't seem to cause problems. It doesn't appear in my session-manager though. Probably cause it's a dummy script and the real xfdesktop registers some dbus object or something...

I still have an issue when I hit "eject" on my USB device, I'm getting two popups one says "failed to eject \"mykey\"" "Not Authorized" the other says "Writing data to device\nThere is data that needs to be written to the device xyz before it can be removed. Please do not remove the media or disconnect the drive"

No luck with palimpsest.

Oddly, when I plug the USB device, at the ck-launch-sessions console, I get:
thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
thunar-volman: Unknown block device type.