ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.0 released

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Mon Jul 30 22:42:57 CEST 2012

Am 30.07.2012 21:57, schrieb houghi:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:11:47PM +0200, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>>> A public API would be fine indeed, but a search results page is no good
>>> solution, a small change can break the plugin easily. I wonder whether they
>>> are allowed to make it public though.
>>>
>> How would it be different from the way Google makes the info public?
>> Anyways, I sent an "official" inquiry regarding the API and public
>> availability/redistribution of the data. I didn't yet get a reply, but
>> will keep you posted.
>
> Google might work with an API which aks for a key. e.g. if you want to use
> Google Maps, you need to subscribe for an API key. That will give you a
> certain amount of requests. e.g. 2500 requests per day.
> That is sufficient for a user or even a small company. It is not enough
> for all users of a program that will be distributed and installed on at
> least 2500 PCs.

Yes, they might do that if the cost gets too expensive for them. Taking
the size of the company in count, I somehow doubt that that limit will
be around 2500, though.

BTW, I'm not very familiar with Google, but as far as I know you already
have to pay for Google Maps if you want to make money with it. Not so as
a single user, though.

> For now something like
> http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather=brussels+belgium does not need a key,
> but if many people start using it, Google could block its usage. That
> would mean we would be in the same situation as before.
 >
 > houghi

That could definitely be. We certainly do not have that issue with
met.no, that is, as long as government keeps up the financing and
doesn't spend the money on something else.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'