ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.0 released

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri Jul 27 09:28:51 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 26.07.2012 20:38, schrieb Liviu Andronic:
[...]
> Yes, their bug report is still open [1]. I actually suggested them to
> use yr.no . :)
> [1] https://code.google.com/p/weather-notification-android/issues/detail?id=72
>
> Regards
> Liviu

Since weather-notification-android uses it, I wonder why not use
google's API? It's undocumented and unofficial, but looking at example
data it seems very simple and you won't need any documentation to
understand it, and no license (I think, but did not verify). The
diversity of data it provides doesn't match that of met.no, and some
values like wind may need more effort to parse, yet it could probably be
used to replace the "current conditions" we have now.

Does anyone have experience with it? Why does the author of
weather-notification-android want to switch from it to another provider?

Otherwise, I can only think of making the providers interface pluggable,
and someone has to write plugins for the plugin, accessing data from a
local weather data provider perhaps. Seems quite a hassle for such a
simple plugin, though. And then there's still the problem of APIs
requiring subscriptions and licenses.

BTW: Here's a list of possible weather APIs:
http://www.programmableweb.com/apitag/weather
A quick glance at some of them shows that most require licenses or are
undocumented etc. But maybe someone wants to go through it and finds
something useful.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'