taskbar item stacking position

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue Jul 24 19:10:31 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 08:21:24AM -0400, Worrier Poet wrote:
> I used to find that behavior to be a distraction, too. I resolved it for
> myself by using the Window Menu panel plug-in. It's nicely configurable,
> and all of the applications (either per-workspace or for all workspaces)
> are in a nice drop-down list.

What I do is to have specific workspaces for specfic programs. When my PC
starts all is already open on the right place (thanks to Devilspie for
some programs. Devilspir should be something that is included much more
integrated into XFCE, so window handling becomes as good as it is done in
Windowmaker)

If I open a program, I see it as it is already open.  I also have several
lauchers for fixed groups of programs and use the Application Menu only on
right click. I could also use quicklauncher

As I know where my programs are, I do not need to see them on my panel. I
just go there.

What would be nice to have is the ability to easily open programs on a
specific desktop. e.g. now I can do DISPLAY=:0.0 or DISPLAY=:0.1, but
having an extra parameter for the workspace would be fantastic. e.g.
DISPLAY=0.1.3 to open on desktop 3 on screen 1 or an option --worspace, so
you can open something like
Terminal --display=0.1 --geometry=20x30+40-50 --workspace=1

I would prefer the first option as it then needs not to be implemented
into each program. e.g. firefox does not use --geometry, but uses -height
and -width and will not be implementing something like --workspace.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: