File opening application preferences - where/how to set them?

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun Jan 22 18:56:03 CET 2012

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:36:50 +0000
Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> As per the subject, where and how do I set the default file opening
> application?  In particular I want to open PDF files with evince
> rather than acroread by default.

Open thunar, right-click a PDF file, chosoe "open with" and then "open
with other application", select evince (it's probably called "Document
Viewer") and make sure to have the "Use as default..." check box ticked
before you click "Open".

In 4.10 there will be an editor for the MIME/app associations which
Nick just pushed to xfce4-settings yesterday.

  - Jannis