Orage - how to 'clear' repeated event until the next one?

Juha Kautto kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Sun Jan 1 22:26:48 CET 2012

1.1.2012 17:28, Chris Green kirjoitti:
> On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 03:46:54PM +0200, Juha Kautto wrote:
>>> I have created a TODO with the title "Todo Test", it starts on 4th
>>> January 2012 and is repeated every two weeks.  First (minor) issue is
>>> that when you create a TODO it defaults to 'Completed' which seems a
>>> little odd.  With the Completed box cleared all I see in the main
>>> calendar window showing the month of January 2012 is the 4th in bold
>>> black and, below, in the To do: panel there is "Todo Test", there's
>>> nothing to indicate that ToDo Test occurs on 4th January and nothing in
>>> colour.
>> Yes, this is how it works. The bold 4 means there is some activity on 4th.
>>
>> And the below box shows it black as it has not yet started (start
>> date is 4th and we
>> are now on 1st.)
>> If you change the start date to be 1st, the colour changes to blue
>> as now it is active.
>> (active=start time has passed, which means basically that you can
>> start doing that todo.)
>> (Due date shows when the TODO needs to be completed.)
>>
>> To see dates, you indeed need to go to the "Todo Test" row in the
>> box and then there
>> is hint text, which shows details.
> It *really* needs a date beside it or something, what happens if you
> have five or six todos, you have to hover the mouse over each one to
> find which one relates to which date.
Well, I have ten or so...and I basically ignore all that are black since
I know they are in
the future. When one becomes blue, I know I need to check it more.
But yes, perhaps using due time would make sense.

>>> I also tried creating a TODO in December 2011 and completing it on 1st
>>> January, that has sort of done as you outline above but not completely.
>>> I think the problem is that the TODO isn't being marked on the calendar
>>> *at all* if it's complete.  I create the TODO on 28/12/11 and, if I
>>> double click the "ToDo test" entry in the box below the calendar the
>>> details appear but there is no date marked on the calendar, either for
>>> the (completed) one on 28/12/11 nor for the 28/1/12 or any future date.
>> I did this same test. TODO start 28/12/2011 and completed on 01/01/2012.
>> If  it is now repeated every two weeks, I see the next bold date on 11 if
>> TODO base is Start and 15th if TODO base is Completed.
>>
>> There is not supposed to be mark on 28/12/2011 as this has gone and has been
>> completed and there is no mark in 28/01/2012 if you made it repeat
>> after 2 weeks.
>> To get a makr on 28/01/2012 you need to set it repeat monthly for example.
>>
> I *have* got it repeated monthly and there is no marker.  I.e. I have a
> TODO with a - aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!  I see what happens,
> and (IMHO) it's rather broken.  See below....
>

>> If your TODO has no recurrence, it does not appear in calendar
>> (exactly as you describe).
> I created a TODO which starts on 28/12/2011 and recurs once a month.  I
> completed it on 1/1/2012 and now the *next* occurrence is flagged at
> 1/2/2012 which is a month from when I *completed* it, not a month from
> the due date.  That's no use at all (IMHO) as I want the *due* date to
> recur at fixed intervals, not the date at which I complete the TODO.
>
> My 'classic' requirement is to be reminded to do my company's tax
> calculation and payment once a quarter.  It's due on the 19th January,
> 19th April, 19th July and 19th October.  I want to be warned about it a
> few days in advance so, in general, I complete it before the 19th.
> However if I complete it early or even if I complete it late I *still*
> want to be reminded for the next 19th as the next one is due then
> regardless of when the previous one was completed.
Yes, seems like you should set TODO base to "Start", which means TODO
happens
regularly no matter when you completed it. Suitable for taxes. The
default is
"Completed", which is suitable for like "clean the cat litter box" or
wash the floor, where
it is better to do it next time two weeks after you did it previously.

>>> So, to get what you're describing, what do you have set for the TODO?
>>> I just have a Todo with a Title, a start date of 28/12/11 at 09:00, a
>>> tick in the Completed box and a Done date of 01/01/12 at 12:16. ...and
>>> as I said above this shows nothing on the monthly calendar dates at all
>>> and just "ToDo test" in the box below with no indication of date or
>>> anything.
>> Yes, you need in addition to make it repeat in Recurrence tab. If
>> you moe your cursor
>> to the "Todo test" in the below box, you should see when it happens
>> next time.
> I have it repeating once a month, what confused me was what I described
> above, the repeat occurs one month after *completion*, I was expecting
> the next TODO to be on 28th January and didn't look in February.

>>> Can it remind me by simply putting the TODO title in the xfce4 panel?
>>> That's what my genmon script does, so the reminder just stays there
>>> until the due date or until I clear the TODO/EVENT.  I don't want
>>> windows popping up or alarms or anything.
>> No, there is indeed no alarm type, which updates the panel.
>> You can however create a Procedure type alarm, which calls your
>> script, which then updates the panel.
> But will the Procedure type alarm refresh the panel whenever the system
> is restarted or I log out and then login?  It's no good if it just does
> it once at five days before the event and then never again because that
> won't refresh the text in the panel.
Procedure type alarm just runs the defined script when the alarm time
happens.
It has nothing special to do with panel, so it probably will not work
for you.

> What does ticking the "Persistent Alarm" box do?
If your computer (or Orage) is not running when the alarm happens, it
can not do the alarm.
Persistent alarms happen asap after the Orage is again running. (non
persistent alarm is
just forgotten.)