Orage - how to 'clear' repeated event until the next one?

Juha Kautto kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Sun Jan 1 14:46:54 CET 2012

1.1.2012 14:34, Chris Green kirjoitti:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:18:32AM +0200, Juha Kautto wrote:
>>> A repeating EVENT or TODO is only of any use if you can clear the
>>> previous/current ones somehow.  In terms of what happens in the .ics
>>> file this means either a custom entry of some sort or you have to delete
>>> and replace the VEVENT entry with one that starts at the next repeat.
>>>
>> It seems to work completely wrong in your system then. This is how
>> it works for me and
>> how it should work:
>> Create for example weekly repeating EVENT: starts on 30 December
>> 2011 and lasts 2 days:
>> - This is visible in every week and you can not remove it except by
>> defining exception days,
>>     which is not a good idea.
>>
>> Change it to TODO and only the next TODO start date is shown. Set it
>> as done and the next
>> TODO will be shown and the current one will disappear.  Note, that
>> it needs to be "done"
>> after the TODO starts. (In the main window the TODO is black if it
>> is in the future and blue
>> when it is active and finally red when it is late. It can be late
>> only when it has Due time
>> defined.)
>>
> I don't see anything remotely like this, are we running the same
> program? :-)  I'm running Orage version 4.8.1.
>
> I have created a TODO with the title "Todo Test", it starts on 4th
> January 2012 and is repeated every two weeks.  First (minor) issue is
> that when you create a TODO it defaults to 'Completed' which seems a
> little odd.  With the Completed box cleared all I see in the main
> calendar window showing the month of January 2012 is the 4th in bold
> black and, below, in the To do: panel there is "Todo Test", there's
> nothing to indicate that ToDo Test occurs on 4th January and nothing in
> colour.
Yes, this is how it works. The bold 4 means there is some activity on 4th.

And the below box shows it black as it has not yet started (start date
is 4th and we
are now on 1st.)
If you change the start date to be 1st, the colour changes to blue as
now it is active.
(active=start time has passed, which means basically that you can start
doing that todo.)
(Due date shows when the TODO needs to be completed.)

To see dates, you indeed need to go to the "Todo Test" row in the box
and then there
is hint text, which shows details.

> I also tried creating a TODO in December 2011 and completing it on 1st
> January, that has sort of done as you outline above but not completely.
> I think the problem is that the TODO isn't being marked on the calendar
> *at all* if it's complete.  I create the TODO on 28/12/11 and, if I
> double click the "ToDo test" entry in the box below the calendar the
> details appear but there is no date marked on the calendar, either for
> the (completed) one on 28/12/11 nor for the 28/1/12 or any future date.
I did this same test. TODO start 28/12/2011 and completed on 01/01/2012.
If  it is now repeated every two weeks, I see the next bold date on 11 if
TODO base is Start and 15th if TODO base is Completed.

There is not supposed to be mark on 28/12/2011 as this has gone and has been
completed and there is no mark in 28/01/2012 if you made it repeat after
2 weeks.
To get a makr on 28/01/2012 you need to set it repeat monthly for example.

If your TODO has no recurrence, it does not appear in calendar (exactly
as you describe).

> So, to get what you're describing, what do you have set for the TODO?
> I just have a Todo with a Title, a start date of 28/12/11 at 09:00, a
> tick in the Completed box and a Done date of 01/01/12 at 12:16. ...and
> as I said above this shows nothing on the monthly calendar dates at all
> and just "ToDo test" in the box below with no indication of date or
> anything.
Yes, you need in addition to make it repeat in Recurrence tab. If you
moe your cursor
to the "Todo test" in the below box, you should see when it happens next
time.

>> But there is indeed no way to separate repeating events in ics file.
>> You can not comment those
>> individually and you can not get it deleted and recreated as you
>> say. So in that sense you can not
>> remove it from the ics file.
>>
>> (Orage can however remind you about the next TODO, so extra genmon
>> script is not needed.)
>>
> Can it remind me by simply putting the TODO title in the xfce4 panel?
> That's what my genmon script does, so the reminder just stays there
> until the due date or until I clear the TODO/EVENT.  I don't want
> windows popping up or alarms or anything.
No, there is indeed no alarm type, which updates the panel.
You can however create a Procedure type alarm, which calls your script,
which then updates the panel.