Many Updates To Xfce - Will xubuntu 11.10 Update To Them?

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Tue Feb 14 03:11:02 CET 2012

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:48:51 +0200
Mișu Moldovan <dumol at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 18:37, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO at aol.com> wrote:
> > Many Updates To Xfce - Will xubuntu 11.10 Update To Them?
>
> Short answer: No.
>
> Xubuntu probably only backports some of the fixes but it doesn't
> update the 4.8.x packages that were released with version 11.10. The
> new 4.8.x packages are going to appear in the next version of Xubuntu.
> As for the new 4.9.x packages that pave the way to Xfce 4.10, they
> will probably make it to Xubuntu 12.10, but that is up to Xubuntu
> developers, such questions should better be directed to them.
>
> Just my 0.02€,

One of the main reasons why, after trying Ubuntu for a while, I
returned to my beloved FreeBSD.  Package management under FreeBSD is
just so much simpler.  I can install my own upgrades from Xfce and
easily incorporate them into the package management structure without
having to wait for the "official" update from the FreeBSD ports team.

Ubuntu is definitely one of the more "pleasant" Linux distributions,
but it seems to lean a bit too far in the direction of the Windows
philosophy of "users are stupid and will hurt themselves if we don't
protect them, so let's hide everything from them".  Thanks, but no
thanks.  :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net