Arranging icons on the desktop

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sun Feb 5 03:00:56 CET 2012

Not too long ago I was asking why I have no "Arrange icons" item on my
right-click desktop menu.  I've since then discovered that Xfce appears
to work with icon arranging a little differently from other window
managers or desktop environments, in that I can arrange icons in
several "clusters" in different regions on the desktop, not unlike,
say, the Mac way of doing this.  Apparently, Xfce does not absolutely
require all icons to be grouped together, which is rather nice,
actually, allowing me to place my system/device icons apart from
application icons.

Is this a correct understanding of the Xfce approach to icon
arranging?  I just want to make sure I'm not missing any important
details here.  I rather like this approach, really.  Automatic sorting
has its good points, sure, but I like the flexibility offered by Xfce
much more.

If there are any other "fine points" re: this topic that I need to be
aware of, I'd appreciate hearing about them, or being steered to a
document on the subject.

Thanks!

(Incidentally, I'm currently running the absolute latest (development)
versions of all of the various Xfce components (as well as the latest
Xorg stuff), and everything's working beautifully.  Nice work, folks!
Looking forward to the next "offical" release version.)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads at cox.net