xfce and CD/DVD media handling problem

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Mon Dec 31 01:34:35 CET 2012

Hi,
I was switching less than a year ago to Xfce (from GNOME 2, as Fedora
user, with GNOME 3 invasion) and i'm quite satisfied. But now I
configure one older PC for our kindergarten, and want some kind of
more user-friendly access to multimedia CDs/DVDs. There are some
indices that this should be possible, but I'm still out of luck with
this actions:

1) I want start up selected player (e.g. VLC) when inserting video
DVD.
1a) In thunar-volman-settings, multimedia tab, I have checked
"Play video CDs and DVDs when inserted", but nothing run when I
insert media; no difference when "Command:" field is empty or when
there is "usr/bin/vlc dvd:///dev/sr0" - but from terminal this
command work perfectly.
1b) As after insertimg media disc and on Desktop appear DVD media
icon with film name, it would be sufficient for me when I could be
able run player after clicking on media icon. But this action isn't
working for me too. Video disc (usually - but see notice below) isn't
mounted. When right clicking on its icon, I will get menu with items
"Open", "Mount Volume" and "Applications >". When left doubleclicking
on icon, disc is mounted under "/run/media/$USER/$VOLUMENAME" and opened
with Thunar.
How I can configure some sort of "Open with command ..." action,
either for left (double)click or add some command (e.g. above
mentioned "usr/bin/vlc dvd:///dev/sr0") to at right-click displayed
menu?
And other (minor) improvements - it would be nice have in right-click
menu command for media eject (again, e.g. run custom command as
"/usr/bin/eject /dev/sr0" should be sufficient for me).
Is it possible?

(*) Notice: I did several tens of tries with multimedia volumes,
and these disc after inserting was almost always left unmounted, as
I wrote above. But in two or three cases disks was mounted, due to for
me unknown reason. IMO this could be caused by some of several other
running applications - I thing that when I had no app active, then
media discs was never mounted afted inserting.

2) similar behavior as in previous point for audio discs (e.g. start
rhythmbox for them). How is resolvable this?

3) thunar-volman-settings has several (5) options-checkboxes for
removable storage handling. But it seems as they have no effect -
partitions on USB sticks appears on desktop, but they are indicated
as "Removable Volume,Not mounted yet". Not matter which checkboxes
I mark off, they are not mounted and Thunar not display their content
(but left double-click causes mount and appropriate Thunar open action,
thus this isn't so important for me - but automount would be nice).
Also, inserting USB stick with one hidden partition do nothing, nor
icon appears (although this hidden partition occupies even small part
and there would be possible create other partitions, or work with hidden
partition. Maybe this isn't job for Thunar but e.g. for gparted or so,
but IMO stick insert should be somehow indicated.
How should be configured removable storage media handling?

I'm using Fedora 17/i686 fully updated, xfce4-session-4.8.3,
xfce4-settings-4.8.3, Thunar-1.3.0, thunar-vfs-1.2.0,
thunar-volman-0.6.0.

Thanks in advance for all advices, Franta Hanzlik