ICE IO error?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sun Dec 23 13:21:12 CET 2012

Well, you've obviously somehow corrupted your .ICEauthority in you
$HOMEDIR. ICE errors tend to be related to that file. Not sure what your
script may or may not be doing with this file...

Rename ~/.ICEauthority file so it gets recreated (if needed) and see if
that fixes it. You will probably need to re-login.

If it does fix it, something was whacked, as ICE is for inter process
communication, it might be related to "XFS" if its still used by your
X-Server, as I had plenty of issues when using XFS. Most distros don't
use XFS anymore.

That file is also used by xfce4-session, gamin, chrome, "dropbox"
evolution, dconf, gbus, xfce-panel, Pulse Audio, chrome browser
extensions, xfwm, xfce-settings, gnome-terminal, various volume
controls, alsa, skype, pidgin, bash... among many, many others.

Could be a number of issues that cause problems with your in your file.
Also you might checkout /tmp/.ICE-unix for any files... just after your
issue occurs.

Also libICE.so*, as provided by package libice* (on my Debian system
libice-dev and libice6... could be different on yours) might be the
culprit as its not handling things properly... but its highly doubtful.

greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Unless we remember we cannot understand."
    -- E. M. Forster