The good old session bug (was: Re: Xfce-Desktop with problems)

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Sun Dec 9 18:00:58 CET 2012

On 09.12.2012, Ray Andrews wrote:

> Sounds like the good old 'sessions' bug to me.  Try this after you've quit
> xfce:
>
> rm ~/.cache/sessions/xfce*
>
> That won't break anything it it's *not* the sessions bug, but if it is, it
> will fix it.
> At least until next time.

Until next time :-(

I seriously wonder why this bug is still around. Is it that hard to
track down, or what's the cause for this insane behaviour?

What's even more strange is that I've been using XFCE really a loooong time
and have never ever encountered this bug myself. My wife uses XFCE and
hasn't seen it either. BUT I've seen it often on others machines,
which I installed. Once occured, never cured.

Is there something which can be done to get rid of this for alltime?
Is there any workaround which solves the problem permanently?

I have access to at least one machine which regularly shown this
behaviour (window borders vanish and so on..), so if I can help please
contact me.

Thanks,
Heinz.