Xfce-Desktop with problems

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Sun Dec 9 17:45:03 CET 2012

On 09/12/12 08:21 AM, GG wrote:
> Yes ,it solved the problem !!! Thank you , Thank you
>> Sounds like the good old 'sessions' bug to me.  Try this after you've
>> quit xfce:
>>
>> rm ~/.cache/sessions/xfce*
>>
>> That won't break anything it it's *not* the sessions bug, but if it
>> is, it will fix it.
>> At least until next time.

IMHO this is the worst bug in xfce and countless numbers of people have
had this problem.  We see people looking for help with this over and
over and over again.  AFAICT the main cause is when gedit has an unsaved
document open in a window that is not active at the time of logout.  One
day the devs will fix it. What bugs me, is that on startup, at the point
where we see the 'X' cursor, xfce4-session already 'knows' there is a
problem so at that point it should be not too much trouble to pull in a
backup copy of the session file. Which is to say that even if no one can
find a fix for the bug at the shutdown end, it should be a piece of cake
to find a fix at the restart end.  Or so one might think. For the time
being if I see the 'session' message, I do this in a script:

rm -v ~/.cache/sessions/xfce*
cp -v ~/.cache/sessions/backup/* ~/.cache/sessions/

where /backup/ contains two good files like:

xfwm4-22aeee39d-62c7-4ff4-9f4e-9210e355a5e1.state
xfce4-session-hewitt-sda2-LMDE:0

crude but effective.