How to remove items from the "Open With" menu in thunar?

Sergio sergiocmailbox-xfce at yahoo.com.br
Fri Dec 7 16:16:44 CET 2012

On 12/07/2012 12:35 PM, Chris Green wrote:
> As per the subject, how do you *remove* entries from the list of
> applications that you get to see when you right click on a file in
> thunar?
>
> I know how to set the preferred application that the file is opened with
> if you activate the file but I can't see how to get rid of entries in
> the sub-menu that opens if you click on "Open With".

You have to edit its desktop file and remove the appropriate MimeType value.

Copy the app's desktop file from /usr/share/applications to
/usr/local/share/applications (for system-wide changes) or
~/.local/share/applications (only for you) and remove the MIME type you
don't want to use. Then run 'update-desktop-database' as root
(system-wide) or 'update-desktop-database ~/.local/share/applications'
as yourself (for local).

If you want the app to not show in the menu too just add 'Hidden=true'
to its desktop file (then you don't even need to edit the MimeType key
as it will be just as if it didn't exist).