xfce4-weather-plugin: symbols & descriptions update

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri Aug 31 16:58:17 CEST 2012

Am 30.08.2012 17:49, schrieb Lili-Anne Girard:
> 2012/8/30 Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at>:
>>
>> Ok, I failed to use the time machine properly ;-)
>>
>> Looking at that page, we can exclude the weather.com, Beginning and Grzanka
>> icons, they are clearly not the same as the icons the xfce weather plugin
>> uses. Unfortunately(?), it's the same with the other icons. That leaves only
>> those "Um" icons to investigate, which are supposed to have been included in
>> the liquid weather core package, but where can we find them nowadays?
>>
>> Harald
>>
>> --
>> `Experience is the best teacher.'

> Here is the latest liquid weather tarball that I found (I'll delete it
> in few days):
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5180472/lwp-15.0.skz
>
> Liquid and Umicons are clearly two different icon themes and I don't
> have time to look for the license of the Liquid icon theme.
>
> Bye, lili.

I haven't got an answer from the author of the discontinued Liquid
Weather yet (who knows if he still checks this mail address, and it was
only yesterday that I sent the mail), but here is why I consider them to
be licensed under the GPL:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=6384:
"License:
  Everything is GPL, EXCEPT FOR some of the icon sets, which are
  distributed with the permission of their authors."

We know which icon sets are meant here
(http://web.archive.org/web/20100724155753/http://liquidweather.net/icons.php,
thanks again Lili-Anne Girard!), and the liquid theme is definitely not
included in that list of exceptions.

Unfortunately, the author of the liquid icon set remains unknown. Maybe
it is Matthew/"Matti" himself? Without an answer, we cannot know and
give proper credit. Nevertheless, it will be no problem to include,
modify and distribute the liquid theme, since we verified it is GPL. No
need to worry anymore.

Does anyone disagree? Have I missed something?

If no one objects, I will simply add a section to the README with these
findings for future reference. And then I can finally release 0.8.2 ;-)

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'