How to specify automount options without /etc/fstab

dg1727 dg1727 at hushmail.com
Mon Aug 27 19:16:20 CEST 2012

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 18:22:02 -0400 Todd And Margo Chester
<toddandmargo at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 08/26/2012 01:59 PM, dg1727 wrote:
>>
>> A user of mine has Xfce 4.8.3 (I believe - it's the default
>> version that came with the distro) on Xubuntu 12.04.1
>>
>> I would like to set up his computer so that when any volume is
>> about to be automounted, if the volume is ext4, then the volume
>> is mounted with certain options specified by me.  Any other
>> automounted volumes can be automounted according to the system
>> defaults.
>
>I have a script I use to mount my five USB sticks the way I want.
>I do this by searching for their label after they are plugged
>in and before they are mounted.  It is based on the command:
>
>     $ ls -al /dev/disk/by-label
>
>I have a subroutine, which refines the above:
>
>FindDevice () {
>    # incomming variables
>    Label=$1
>
>    Device="`readlink -e /dev/disk/by-label/$Label`"
>    if [ "$?" != "0" ]; then Device="none"; fi
>
>    echo $Device
>    return
>}
>
>The above lets me know the stick's device assignment.  That
>way I can mount them the way I like.
>
>If you are handy at scripts, you could modify my script to your
>liking.  Let me know and I will post it back to here.
>
>-T

Yes, Todd, I would like to know how your script is "patched into"
the sequence of events between a device getting plugged in and
"thunar-volman" automounting that device.  I will be glad to look
at your script.

I'm also interested in whether your script allows an icon for the
volume to show up by default on the Xfce desktop.

Thanks.

-dg1727