slow keys must die. now

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 05:20:16 CEST 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jérôme Guelfucci <jeromeg at xfce.org> wrote:
> On 19/08/12 16:57, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Who do you think I can complain to?
>>
>> I'm sick to death of this stupid, inconvenient, "feature" called slow
>> keys. While I'm trying to write an essay--and thinking--and I don't
>> want to be penalized for leaving my finger on the shift key.  I
>> understand the fact that somebody worked really hard to make it work
>> this way, but IMHO it was an enormous waste of effort. Slow keys is a
>> silly, stupid, frustrating thing that has taken me out of my train of
>> thought more than once.
>>
>> At one time, it was completely disabling because it seemed the
>> keyboard was dead. Now understand the cause, but I still hate it.
>> Today I noticed a popup in the xcfe tray warning me that "slow keys
>> was enabled", I suppose that's progress. At least the user is warned
>> that the irritating feature is still present.  But I don't want to put
>> up with it, at all.
>>
>> And I think it is a stupid design to have automatic slow keys in the
>> first place.  Do you really think this helps a disabled person in any
>> appreciable way?  How in the world is this person that requires "slow
>> keys" even logging into the computer with "ordinary keys"?  They can
>> type a username and password and then all of the sudden they can't
>> type at regular speed?  The slow keys has to be a feature a person
>> elects in a menu, in the display manager.  How many people are so
>> disabled that they can't click a menu, or have a helper hit a menu
>> button?
>>
>> I want to disable this feature entirely. How do I do it?  If I have to
>> remove xfce entirely to do that, I don't think I mind. But I wish
>> there were an easier way.
>>

> Hello Paul,
>
> I'll look into fixing this correctly (disabling this feature by default and
> adding an option to activate it for people who need that).
>
> Meanwhile, I found the attached program in a related bug report. Compiling
> this and adding it to the list of auto-started applications should fix your
> issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jérôme

Thanks very much. I'm surprised/delighted to learn that somebody reads my rants.

Several people have suggested I go in XFCE settings -> accessability
and uncheck slow keys, but it is unchecked already.  That makes me
guess the suggestion from the other posters is correct, and i'm
getting this behavior from gdm or X11 somewhere.  I'll keep tracking
the bug reports they point to.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director