ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.0 released

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 15:17:22 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:
> 1) Do nothing and leave things as they are. Some improvements are still
> possible, so let's get the best out of it.
> 2) Wait for openweathermap.org growing and improving. This does not conflict
> with 1). Maybe in a year things look different?
> 3) Someone checks and proposes another provider who has acceptable terms of
> usage and supports locations world-wide.

To my surprise the DDG Q&A contact sent me a different suggestion:
Yahoo! Weather RSS Feed [1].
[1] http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/

An example of their API use:
To get the forecast for Paris, France, use the WOEID 615702:
http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss?w=615702

Terms of Use:
"The feeds are provided free of charge for use by individuals and
non-profit organizations for personal, non-commercial uses. We ask
that you provide attribution to Yahoo! Weather in connection with your
use of the feeds.

If you provide this attribution in text, please use: "Yahoo! Weather."
If you provide this attribution with a graphic, please use the Yahoo!
Weather logo that we have included in the feed itself.

 We reserve all rights in and to the Yahoo! Weather logo, and your
right to use the Yahoo! Weather logo is limited to providing
attribution in connection with these RSS feeds.

Yahoo! also reserves the right to require you to cease distributing
these feeds at any time for any reason."

As far as I go, these terms seem pretty innocuous. Our panel plugin is
clearly not a for-profit organization and has no commercial use. As
long as we give due credit we should be able to use their feed.

What do you think?
Liviu