What is the difference between suspend by closing the laptop's lid and clicking Logout\Suspend

Athlion athlion at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 10:50:00 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think this is an XFCE problem, but here's what I think.
>
> Are you really sure there's a difference between the lid and the menu
> suspend.  For me, both can fail, sometimes.
>
> In my case, the problem is that the suspend starts, and then the
> system wakes up right away. If you are not monitoring it carefully, it
> seems as though nothing at all happens when you close the lid or start
> the suspend from the menu.

On closer look, yes, that's what happens to me, too: the system wakes
up.cd But it's 100% reproducible when closing the lid (it *will*
happen after about 24 hours of suspend/resume cycles whereas the
suspend menu never fails - I have gone over a week and never had any
problems and other users are confirming it, too)

> After fighting with this a lot, I never trust closing the lid to
> suspend the laptop. The danger in trusting the lid is that you don't
> always check to make sure the system really does sleep.  Use the
> shutdown menu, choose suspend and watch the system lights to make sure
> it really suspends before closing the lid.
>
> After you choose suspend, don't close the lid right away. If you
> choose the suspend menu option and then close the lid too soon, it can
> actually have counter-productive result of waking up the computer.
> Closing lid can trigger another suspend process, which blocks the
> suspend you have already started. Weird, right?  Then the other
> suspend process notices your lid is open and it thinks you want to
> wake up.
>
> A couple of years ago, I tried *really hard* to figure what's wrong.
> I bet you will find, as I did, that there are too many possible
> failures, and not all are well documented or recorded in the logs.

Well, actually, my pm-suspend.log has never had any indication of a
module failing (even after a failed suspend). It looks as though
everything went perfectly. And, to make things worse, I have
suspended/resumed by using the lid for over a year on the laptop never
encountering a single glitch. This makes me believe that something got
updated and the problem started manifesting itself...

> Here's an example of what I see in /var/logs/pm-suspend.log when the
> suspend works properly. If you check yours, scan for the word "Awake".
> something like:
>
> [snip: pm-suspend.log, with NetworkManager indication of something problematic]
>
> Maybe you notice this about NetworkManager, which seems to indicate trouble:
>
> Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager suspend suspend:
> Having NetworkManager put all interaces to sleep...Failed.
>
> But I get the exact same "Failed" even if the laptop does sleep correctly.
>
> So you are thinking, maybe that program never suspends, but sometimes it is OK:
>
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager suspend suspend: success.
> Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/60_wpa_supplicant suspend suspend:

Mine does not exhibit this issue, pm-suspend.log is always happy :-)
.... Which makes me sad for not understanding what is going on!!!

> In conclusion, defend yourself. Menu suspend always, and make sure it
> sleeps before closing the lid.

Well, yes, but it is cumbersome and very unproductive. It is waaay
easier to just close the lid, especially since my memory of doing just
that is so recent.... And in any case, I strongly believe that is not
not something physical like the hinges because I have never had this
problem happening before 24 hours or in the first time after a reboot.
It *always* happens after about 24 hours of uptime. So there must be
something software-y...

And that's why I'm looking at the difference....