Display brightness keys suddenly stopped working

François Colonna f.colonnacesari at free.fr
Sat Apr 28 11:39:58 CEST 2012

Le lundi 20 février 2012 à 18:39 +0100, Maximilien Noal a écrit :
> On 02/20/2012 03:38 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > I just realized the display brightness function keys are no longer
> > working, whereas xfce used to interpret those key-presses correctly
> > some time ago.
> > I would be happy about some hints where to start looking for potential problems.
> >
> > Thanks, Clemens
> Hi,
>
> Works here (Xfce 4.8.3 on ArchLinux, Asus Laptop)
>
> Does it work with the lcd brightness plugin for the Xfce panel [1] ?
>
> You might also be able to assign [Fn] keys (or others) to two custom
> console commands that will lower/maximize the brightness in Settings
> Manager -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts.
> I forgot which command line tool can do it (xbacklight, maybe ?). There
> may be several ways.
>
> [1]
> http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/xfce4-power-manager#lcd_brightness_plugin

Hello

On my Asus laptop (running Debian Squeeze)  I have the same problem for
monthes.

The link above http://goodies... does not help : it does not give a way
to install the missing plugin, it only gives a picture of the it saying

"This plugin allows you to control your LCD brightness level from the
xfce4-panel"

which does not help, because xfce4-panel is inaccessible when xfce is
running !
Could you please be more explicit in your explanation, and give which is
the exact xfce-.... command that does the job ?

I looked at all messages here, and no one gives the answer, why ?

Thanks for helping.
Francois