automatic mount of removable external drive

Todd & Margo toddandmargo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 06:48:11 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM, e-letter <inpost at gmail.com> wrote:

> Readers,
>
> When an external drive is connected to the computer via the usb port,
> thunar opens automatically but the name of the external drive has a
> unicode character. How to configure xfce so that the name of the drive
> is of a specific name, e.g. '/media/externaldrive'
>
> Thanks.
>
> xfce462

Finally I get to answer someone's question.  Usually it is me
doing the asking.

Do you have a name?  I feel a bit rude calling you xfce462.

When you plug a drive into a USB/Firewire/eSata port, Thunar does not
mount the drive, it merely displays the "label" it finds in

     /dev/disk/by-label

Take a peek at yours by running from a command prompt:

     ls -al /dev/disk/by-label

When you double click on the label that Thunar displays, that
is when Thunar actually mounts the drive in /media/"label".  "label"
being what Thunar finds in /dev/disk/by-label.

If you do not like the label you see, you will need to rename the
drive's label.  The easiest way I have found to do this is with
"gparted".   Look in the "partition" pull down for "label".  Make
sure your drive is plugged in and unmounted before running "gparted".

HTH,
-T  (Todd)