momentary freeze ups

killermoehre killermoehre at gmx.net
Fri Apr 13 21:29:06 CEST 2012

Am 13.04.2012 21:20, schrieb Todd And Margo Chester:
> Hi All,

Hi you two.

> I have two computers running Xfce 4.8.  One is running Scientific
> Linux 6.2 (RHEL 6.2 clone) 64 bit and the other is running
> Fedora Core 16, 64 bit.
>
> Occasionally, in any program, the computers will freeze up from
> anywhere between five seconds and 20 seconds.  Then recover as if
> nothing happened.

Define »any«. Just GUI, or CLI, too?

> "top" shows hardly any CPU activity.  "free -m" shows three times
> the empty space as used.
>
> Is there some kind of file indexing going on?  On the Gnome side,
> I know they have something called "tracker", but I don't see it
> in Xfce.

No. Xfce is lightweight.

> 32 bit FC 16 Live CD does not "seem" to show the freeze ups, but
> it is hard to get a good test as most of the native programs are
> not usable.  Prior to wiping and installing 64 bit, both these
> machines were running 32 bit (CentOS 4.x and CentOS 5.x) with
> no freeze ups.
>
> Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Does this happen since the very beginning? Did you alter something in
the last time? What says pstree? How do you start your session? What
daemons are running in the background? Is your RAM busy? Is your hard
drive working? When was the last system update? When was the last
reboot? What says your autostart? Do you save your session?

> Many thanks,
> -T

Regards