ANNOUNCE: xfce4-appfinder 4.9.0 released
h.judt at gmx.at
Wed Sep 28 11:39:03 CEST 2011
Am 21.09.2011 20:54, schrieb Nick Schermer:
> What is xfce4-appfinder?
> The Xfce application finder is a program that searches your file system
> for .desktop files, and displays a categorized list of all the GUI
> applications on your system.
> Release notes for 4.9.0
> This is the first development release of the combination of
> xfce4-appfinder and xfrun4.
> Please give it some early testing, it might have some rough edges, but
> this is the time to suggest improvements! If you have some, please go to
> bugzilla.xfce.org and report them.
I did some quick tests and found it has some nice ideas and the search
function and custom commands are really nifty, but it is currently not
on a par with xfrun4.
A few suggestions and things I noticed (I'm sorry if I mention only
negative things here, but you asked for improvements):
* Bug: In collapsed mode, enter a command which does not exist => error.
Now clear the field and enter a correct command and try to launch it =>
* It does not allow you to run commands in the easy way xfrun4 does,
e.g. try entering 'xscreensaver-command -lock' => Command not found.
* It doesn't go together well with some .desktop files, e.g.
LibreOffice. The problem here is that the 'Exec' entry has parameters,
e.g. libreoffice --writer, which seems not to be supported by
- I expected it to show me 'LibreOffice Writer' and 'LibreOffice
Calc' when I entered 'lowriter' and 'localc'. Unexpectedly, it
did not, but comes up with 'LibreOffice Writer' and 'LibreOffice
Calc' when I enter libreoffice. That is because lowriter and
localc does not exist in any desktop files, only in /usr/bin.
- Entering 'l' in collapsed mode shows me many entries for completion
named 'libreoffice'. If I select any one of these from the
suggestions list, I always get the same icon. Of course, I can't
launch them either.
- Related issue: Enter libreoffice in expanded mode, select one of the
many LibreOffice entries (Writer, Calc,...) => It's always
'libreoffice' which appears in the entry field, though it starts
the right application.
* Switching between collapsed mode and expanded mode is possible via
keyboard up and down keys, but only when the text box is empty. Is there
a reason why it can't work all the time?
* Auto-completion for commands (not only for history) would be a really
nice-to-have feature. Please make it use PATH for searching
applications, too, not only desktop files.
* 'http://www.xfce.org' doesn't work, though there's an entry in custom
I hope this helps,
`Experience is the best teacher.'
More information about the Xfce