Window manager problems

Denny Dalessandro osulinux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 17:02:32 CEST 2011

2011/9/26 Ozan Türkyılmaz <ozan.turkyilmaz at gmail.com>

> 2011/9/26 Denny Dalessandro <osulinux at gmail.com>:
> > Using Xfce 4.8.0 with Fedora 15. Everything was working fine an hour ago
> and
> > for the past few months. Then I rebooted and it all went nuts.
> >
> > When I log in I have no window borders, if I go into settings, the window
> > manager and window manager tweaks buttons bring up blank windows. I also
> > only see 1 workspace when there should be 4. Also noticed that when I
> click
> > on the main menu button and move through the list of menus there is no
> > highlighting when there used to be.
> >
> > I'm guessing something is making xfwm4 unhappy. There has to be some logs
> or
> > something I can look at to figure out what is going on. The only thing
> that
> > I can think of that I did different than what I've done a million times
> > before is I was messing with a windows VM and this "enter unity" thing
> that
> > vmware player can do. Other than that business as usual.
> >
> > My other window managers/desktops seem to be unaffected.
> >
> > Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>
> Try cleaning your session or start a clean session. There's a place to
> look at session errors at $HOME/.xsession-errors. It could have some
> clues.
>
> --
> Ozan, BSc, BEng

I removed .config/xfce4.session directory (it was empty anyway).

I  then moved xfce4 to xfce4.bak and started xfce but the result was the
same as far as windows having no borders. Only all my personal settings were
gone and I had no panels. So window manager was still not happy.

I saved the .xsession-errors file. Don't really see much of anything of
interest in there, pasting from it anyway::

/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
xrdb:  "Xft.hinting" on line 9 overrides entry on line 6
xrdb:  "Xft.hintstyle" on line 11 overrides entry on line 7
ssh-agent is already running; starting gpg-agent without ssh support
xfdesktop[12716]: starting up
available 0available 0available 0available 0available 0
(xfce4-settings-helper:12747): xfce4-settings-helper-WARNING **: No CRTC
found for LVDS1.
libpager-Message: Setting the pager rows returned false. Maybe the setting
is not applied.
libpager-Message: Setting the pager rows returned false. Maybe the setting
is not applied.
libpager-Message: Setting the pager rows returned false. Maybe the setting
is not applied.
xfsettingsd: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X
server :0.
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
      after 794 requests (794 known processed) with 1 events remaining.
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 23 requests (23 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xfce4-volumed: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X
server :0.0.
applet.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
:0.0.
<unknown>: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server
:0.0.
abrt-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X
server :0.0.
(bluetooth-applet:12776): Gdk-WARNING **: bluetooth-applet: Fatal IO error
11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
(nm-applet:12791): Gdk-WARNING **: nm-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource
temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true

The CRTC line is because my laptop is in a dock and already has 2 external
monitors. Has always been like that.