Would Like to Change NumLock Behavior to Match MS Windows Behavior

Mișu Moldovan dumol at xfce.org
Fri Sep 16 10:13:24 CEST 2011

On 15.09.2011 21:21, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

[snip]

> To make matters worse, there's no indicator light for NumLock on this
> keyboard, so I'm constantly getting it in the wrong state when I need to
> be concentrating on the text rather than what I'm doing with the danged
> NumLock control. I try to select a bunch of text and wind up typing a
> numeral, or I try to move and wind up blowing away something that was
> already selected.

Try a keyboard indicator with a dedicated led for a visual cue of the
NumLock state. To easily switch the state of the NumLock key you could
try XkbOptions in xorg.conf or a dedicated program like numlockx.

> In Gnome there's a setting in gnome-keyboard-properties that I found
> today while researching this. I didn't see this setting in the Xfce
> keyboard properties dialog. I looked for documentation on this, but I've
> drawn a blank so far.

Another possibility would be xmodmap, for some ideas, take a look at
http://wiki.robotz.com/index.php/Numlock_State_&_Keyboard_Mapping .

I currently have a keyboard without the numeric keypad, so I can't test
or vouch for anything.

HTH,

--
mișu