desktop popup menu takes forever to appear

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Sep 15 17:09:52 CEST 2011

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 18:45:56 -0700
Lonni J Friedman <netllama at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I'm a long time XFCE user (going all the way back to the 1.x days).
> I've spent a chunk of timing looking through the list archives for
> someone else reporting this problem, and found nothing.
>
> I've been upgrading my various systems from Fedora14 to Fedora15, and
> in every case, the time to render the desktop popup menu (right
> clicking on the desktop) takes many seconds (from 3 to as many as 8
> seconds).  The menu appeared instantaneously in Fedora14.  What I've
> noticed in Fedora15, is that immediately after clicking the right
> mouse button, I see the disk getting hit hard, as if the menu content
> is getting (re)generated from scratch.  Surely this isn't intentional
> behavior, so I'm hoping that something trivial is misconfigured to fix
> this?

There was another Fedora user that ran into a similar issue...

Do you have a ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs file? whats in it?

In the case of this other user all of them were set to ~/tmp/ where
they had something like 10,000 image files. So, it got scanned for
icons everytime they accessed the menu. ;(

Check that and confirm the dirs there are not populated with tons of
files.

kevin