Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 14:46:19 CEST 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 2:19 PM, houghi <houghi at houghi.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 08:23:18AM +0200, Nick Schermer wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Todd And Margo Chester
>> <toddandmargo at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hi Nick,
>> >
>> >   Not to ask too stupid a question, but what is "improve accessibility
>> > in the desktop environment"?
>>
>> I said that in the email: "so it is possible to use Xfce with screen readers".
>
> Would that have any influence on the desktop as we use have it now as user
> or would it be pure code under the surface that would be affected?

Mostly under the surface, but for example also panel keyboard
navigation is part of this, so that could be a benefit for everyone.

It also touches some design aspects, because if an interface is
difficult to "understand" for a screen reader (and thus blind people
have a hard time using it), we might need to simplify interfaces as
well. If this is the case, it will lead to a better ui in the end
(better label mnemonics, avoiding complicated widget layouts, things
that are unaccessible by keyboard).

So yes, it will influence the desktop too, but in a good way.

Nick