Annoying duplicate KDE desktop icons

Alex Baer comet.friend at gmx.net
Fri Sep 2 18:22:00 CEST 2011

Am Freitag, 2. September 2011, 17:01:02 schrieb Charlie Kravetz:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 16:19:24 +0200
>
> Alex Baer <comet.friend at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > first of all: I am new to this list and though I have looked at Xfce many
> > times, I lonly now start thinking of making it my default desktop
> > environment. I am on Slackware64 13.37 with Xfce 4.6.2 and some add-ons.
> >
> > The reason I subscribed to this list is a little annoyance, cosmetic in
> > nature, but still ugly, with desktop icons.
> >
> > My main DE up to now is KDE, and therefore it is quite ok, that Xfce
> > tries to adopt desktop icons in principle. However, I have now two icons
> > for my $HOME folder. One is the actual folder, the other one is a text
> > file looking like this:
> >

> > [Desktop Entry]
> > Encoding=UTF-8
> > Name=Home
> > Name[af]=Tuiste
> > GenericName=Personal Files
> > GenericName[af]=Persoonlike Lêers
> > GenericName[x-test]=xxPersonal Filesxx
> > GenericName[zh_CN]=个人文件
> > GenericName[zh_TW]=個人檔案
> > URL[$e]=$HOME
> > Icon=user-home
> > Type=Link
> >

> > This is actually a "desktop configuration file". But the icon looks
> > exactly like the actual folder icon, only that clicking on it opens a
> > text editor instead of a file manager.
> >
> > If I understand it correctly, KDE uses this file to look for non-English
> > equivalents of the "Desktop" folder, such as "Arbeitsfläche" in my case
> > (German), and puts icons for links and applications in that folder onto
> > the desktop background.
> >
> > In Xfce, however, the file has no use. As starting to use Xfce more often
> > probably will not mean to drop KDE altogether for me, I dare to simply
> > delete this file. Therefore my question is:
> >
> > What's the best way to deal with it? How can I get this file out of way
> > in Xfce, while preserving it for KDE?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your assistance!
> > (BTW: Of course I searched the web, but didn't find anything useful
> > regarding this topic. But may be I didn't ask the search engine the
> > right question, and if I just overlooked something, just point me there,
> > please!)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >    F9Race (Xfce newbie)
>
> One way to insure the icon is not shown in Xfce but can still be shown
> in any other desktop environment is to add a line to the above file:
>
> NotShowIn=XFCE;
>
> This will stop the item from appearing in Xfce only.

Thanks, but putting the command at the end of file or in line 2 of it had no
effect... BTW, I notice that no other line in the file ends with a semicolon...

Also, i've searched the filesystem for a file Home.desktop. Result:

# find / -name Home.desktop -print
/usr/share/apps/kio_desktop/DesktopLinks/Home.desktop
/usr/share/applications/kde4/Home.desktop
/home/alex/Desktop/Home.desktop

The last one is the file that caused my post. In
/usr/share/applications/kde4/Home.desktop there's a line right at the end
similar to what you suggest:

OnlyShowIn=KDE;:

As the first attempt was not successful, what would you suggest to do next?

Thanks again!

Alex