Raise or lower a window shortcut

Michal Szymanski msz at astrouw.edu.pl
Wed Oct 26 21:53:47 CEST 2011

Hi,

There was a few (namely, three) short threads about this topic back in
2005. The topic is:

Can we have (back) a single keyboard shortcut, configurable as othe
shortcuts are, to perform a function which was called in old WMs
"RaiseLower", i.e. raise window if it is obscured at any part by other
window(s), otherwise lower it

I am so used to it (having it in all WMs and Desktop Managers from twm 20
years ago to current versions of Gnome) that it was actually THE reason for
abandoning XFCE when it lost this feature on transition from version 3 to 4.
I have never understood why it happened.

Below, one of the above mentioned mini-threads. It seems that the the
discussion then ended with filing a request for enhancement.

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 03:49:45PM +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 03:26:19PM +0200, Thierry Van Mol wrote:
> >

> > There was a post during march asking for the possibility to bind to a key
> > a "raise or lower" action, i.e: raise the window unless it is already to
> > the top, and in that case lower it.
> >
> > This is very useful and usually available in other window managers. The
> > question was not really answered and the thread went in another direction.
> > Is there a hope to have such a feature implemented?
> >

> Hi,
>
> This sounds like a reasonable request. Perhaps you could file an enhancement
> request on http://bugzilla.xfce.org, that reduces the chance that the request
> will be forgotten.

The replay from Thierry was: "done". But it did not appeared in any of the
following versions that I tried. So finally I stopped trying.

So the question is: does the actual version (4.8 I believe) have it back?

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND