What changed after Gnome 3?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 18 16:55:00 CEST 2011

Am Dienstag, den 18.10.2011, 12:16 -0200 schrieb Tomás Acauan Schertel:
> I was just wondering what changed on XFCE after Gnome 3 has been
> released.
> I'm talking about contributors, mail lists, translators...
> Have you guys seen any difference? Have mail list members increased?

I can only speak for Fedora, but we were one of the first distributions
to ship GNOME 3 in Fedora 15, so I think Fedora is indeed interesting.

We have seen many people switching to Xfce. We have new contributors in
our Xfce SIG, namely some design folks but most important way more
testers to test new updates and report bugs.

As for translators: As team lead of the German Xfce translation team I
also noticed more translators. Currently we have two people in the
queue.

> Have download numbers changed?

Yes.

Torrent downloads of the Fedora Xfce spin according to
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org:6969/ [1]

Fedora 14: 4186 in 52 weeks
Fedora 15: 5397 in 21 weeks

Of course the number of F-X downloads dramatically decreases with F-X+1
is released, but Fedora 15 will definitely beat F14.

Regards,
Christoph

[1] Note: This does not include direct downloads over http or ftp)