Default theme (panel)

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 30 09:26:14 CET 2011

On 29/11/2011 19:10, Christoph Wickert wrote:

>> One minor suggestion for the next release's default theme.
>>
>> I think the panel should look distinctly different from the rest of Gtk
>> applications. It's not just for "better looking" - having a panel that
>> looks like other applications is quite confusing, especially when the
>> application windows are maximized.
>
> I don't really think so, but if you want the panel to look different,
> just follow the instructions from it's README.gtkrc-2.0 file.

Christoph, I'm thinking of improving the default theme.

To clarify my intentions, I'm not talking about making the panel look
like KDE's plasma of Gnome Shell widgets. Quite the opposite. Perhaps
just tweaking the colors a bit would do the job. The goal is to make the
panel easier to notice among many other Gtk widgets on the screen.

Look for example at this screenshot:
http://www.xfce.org/images/frontpage/intro-1-small.jpg
The lack of contrast gets worse when working with maximized windows.

This BTW is not very different from having visually distinct controls in
the window title bars. Perhaps we could make the panel follow the xfwm
theme rather than the gtk one?

Andrzej