how's XFCE in XUbuntu 11.10

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 26 07:04:58 CET 2011

On 11/25/2011 11:15 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:

>> Also (although that's off-topic here), if you were ever using Gnome and you
>> liked it, I advise you against upgrading to 11.10.
>>
> Curious: why so?

Liviu, I'm assuming you haven't heard of it. The reason is very simple -
Gnome, as we know it, is gone. The replacements, both Gnome Shell and
Unity, are still very fresh, under-featured and are attempting to
provide a tablet-like experience. I wouldn't recommend switching to them
to anyone using his/her desktop for work (I guess that's what Mihamina
meant when saying "critical laptop"). At least for now.

I'm a long time XFCE user so the whole thing didn't really affected me
that much. In fact, I see it as a big chance for XFCE to be noticed by
mainstream users and distributions, who want a reliable, fully-featured
and supported desktop for production environments. That's why I've
decided to step in and do some work on remaining rough edges (in my case
that was a panel in vertical mode). That's a pure calculation - with a
relatively small effort you can make quite a big impact. If you feel
capable enough, I recommend you doing the same.

Cheers,

Andrzej