xfdesktop in a cron job

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Fri Nov 25 02:20:15 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 12:38:29AM +0000, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> You should need not reload xfdesktop. Instead, it should be possible to
> use xfconf-query to change the wallpaper and have the running xfdesktop
> process pick it up automatically.

OK. Point taken. Did not know that and will rewrite my script.
This does not help with the DISPLAY part.

When I use the following in a script I get the error below:

#!/bin/bash
PIC2=$HOME/Pictures/to_work_on/wpm/rename_frist/02701_fadetoblue_1920x1200.jpg
DISPLAY=:0.0 xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /backdrop/screen0/monitor0/image-path -s $PIC2

Error:
** (process:4727): CRITICAL **: Failed to init libxfconf: /bin/dbus-launch
terminated abnormally
+with the following error: No protocol specified
Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed

houghi
--
Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. Anyone who can worship
a trinity and insists that his religion is a monotheism can believe