xfce4-weather-plugin stopped working with "Invalid License Key"

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sun Nov 6 00:38:02 CET 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 18:43 +0100, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
> * Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> [2011-11-05 16:58]:

> > > See http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/goodies-dev/2011-October/003139.html
> >
> > What is "Weather report" (aka gweather) doing differently that xfce4
> > plugin is not doing?
>
> If you are referring to the GNOME's libgweather, it uses several
> different sources (www.bom.gov.au, www.weather.gov,
> weather.noaa.gov, www.metoffice.gov.uk), see the code available
> at http://git.gnome.org/browse/libgweather/

Its also contacting (at least for the US) weather.com, in fact the Radar
Images are from there as well.

Line 91 of:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/libgweather/tree/libgweather/weather-wx.c

Shows its also using "image.weather.com" and is variablized

To get something like:
http://image.weather.com/web/radar/us_mkg_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg

Its gets forecasts from:
Australian Bureau of Meteorology forecast source (variablized)
http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/%s.txt

US National Weather Service IWIN forecast source (variablized)
http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/xml/sample_products/browser_interface/ndfdBrowserClientByDay.php?&lat=%.02f&lon=%.02f&format=24+hourly&startDate=%04d-%02d-%02d&numDays=7

UK Met Office forecast source (variablized)
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/%s/%s_forecast_weather_noscript.html

So... I guess its not using Weather.com for anything except the Radar
Image.

Since these are publicly funded entities (except for weather.com), could
it be done similarly?
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C

"Only passions, great passions can elevate the soul to great things."
    -- Denis Diderot