xfce4-weather-plugin stopped working with "Invalid License Key"

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sat Nov 5 11:46:48 CET 2011

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 09:29:20AM +0100, Marton Balazs wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, houghi wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 01:16:38AM +0100, houghi wrote:
> >>Are people working on this? I found
> >>http://www.worldweatheronline.com/free-weather-feed.aspx but this would
> >>mean (as far as I can see) registration for the users.
> >>Another one might be http://developer.yahoo.com/weather/
> >>
> >>Yet another might be
> >>http://weather.weatherbug.com/desktop-weather/api.html
> >>

> >I forgot the unsupported and undocumented google API. I believe the best
> >bets would be Google and Yahoo. Perhaps also of interest could be
> >http://code.google.com/p/python-weather-api/
>
> would metar possibly work? I'm using it for my screensaver with GLText.

Do understand that I am neither the writer, the maintainer or have any
other knowledge other then being a user of the program.

I think any service that will be put in the program should have the
folloing requirements:

Must have:
1) International forcast of at least 5 days
2) Free, both speech and beer
3) Format that can be easily use. e.g. XML
4) Good availablity, so very little downtime and no registration for users
5) Regular updates.
Nice to have:
1) Multi-lingual
2) Multiple sources

I am not sure that metar has 1). As far as I can see it shows only current
information.
There is also http://www.gismeteo.com but I do not think that has 3)
however I do not speak Russian, so I might be mistaken.

It could very well be that the maintainer(s) of the program have other or
extra requirements. I can also imagine that they include several sources
with several ways to get the best data for your city. e.g. US might be
using http://www.weather.gov/ (which is NOAA), Russians might be wanting
to use gismeteo. Others might be happy with Yahoo, due to the forcast and
international might be willing to using Google, because it shows up in
their own language.

This could mean a complete re-write. This is not just an XFCE issue. All
programs, including Windows and Apple and Smartphones, that used the
service are affected and people will be looking for alternatives all over
the world.

Perhaps a good place to look what alternatives there are and what the
benefits of each are might be weather forums.

houghi
--

					This space left blank intentionaly