Lightweight display manager for xfce?

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Fri May 27 22:59:52 CEST 2011

On 05/26/2011 08:32 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2011-05-26, Mathias Brodala<info at noctus.net>  wrote:
>
>> Clemens Eisserer, 26.05.2011 13:03:
>>> The only thing left which bothers me is GDM, it takes as long as xfce
>>> to start if not longer and seems to pull a lot of dependencies.
>>> Is there a lightweight display manager where xfce's shutdown/reboot
>>> buttons work?
>> I'd like to ask if you actually need a DM at all.
> I've never really seen the point in them other than mollifying MS
> Windows users.  The main purpose of a display manager seems to be to
> make sure your system is difficult/impossible to use when an update
> accidentally breaks X/Gnome/KDE/whatever.
>
> In .bashrc:
>
>   alias x="exec startxfce4"
>
> Logging in and getting a desktop is as simple as
>
>    <username>[enter]
>    <password>[enter]
>    x[enter]

On Arch here, X starts automaticly (and the user is loged out when X is
killed) - plus there is consolekit and dbus before startxfce4, otherwise
automount and shutdown/restart/standby/hibernate don't work :
> % cat ./.bash_profile
> if [[ -z $DISPLAY && ! -a /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 && $(id -u) != 0 ]]; then
>   exec startx
> fi
> % cat ./.xinitrc
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # ~/.xinitrc
> #
> # Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
>
> if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
>   for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
>     [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
>   done
>   unset f
> fi
>
> # exec gnome-session
> # exec startkde
> exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startxfce4
> # ...or the Window Manager of your choice
One little problem is if I let Audacious open when closing the session,
on the next session it warns that "another instance of Audacious might
be running.. possible loss of data.. blabla...". I did not take the time
to fix it..