Lightweight display manager for xfce?

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Fri May 27 08:07:03 CEST 2011

On jeu., 2011-05-26 at 20:22 -0700, Auke Kok wrote:

> if you always login to the same user, try uxlaunch - a `login-less`
> login manager. uxlaunch supports consolekit/pam and that's what is
> needed to get your xfce logout/shutdown buttons to work on most
> distro's.
>
> http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-os-base/uxlaunch

Note that I've quickly tried uxlaunch on my Debian. It might be related
to some integration lacking, but it failed to use consolekit properly.

When running directly startxfce4 or xfce4-session, it won't start the
consolekit daemons.

When using the (debian specific) /etc/X11/Xsession (which runs scripts
in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ like the consolekit one, then startxfce4),
consolekit is started but the session is *not* marked as local (same
thing as slim or xdm for example). Note that libpam-ck-connector *is*
installed.

Another issue is that uxlaunch will try to run stuff
in /etc/xdg/autostart and .config/autostart (even when hidden=true)
while xfce4-session already takes care of that, and I don't think you
can disable that behavior in either of them.

All in all, it was seducing even for a desktop box if only one user, but
it's not usable for me.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis