Lightweight display manager for xfce?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:03:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

First of all a big thank you. I am a long term KDE user (somehwere
since 1998/99) and have switched to XFCE now because their 4.6 release
was giving me a hard time.
Ats amazing how well everything works, its even possible to only
display the windows of the currently active dektop.
Please don't try to change the world with xfce-5.0 ;)

The only thing left which bothers me is GDM, it takes as long as xfce
to start if not longer and seems to pull a lot of dependencies.
Is there a lightweight display manager where xfce's shutdown/reboot
buttons work?

I tried LightDM but it seems to have some known problems on my machine,
KDM would pull in about 150mb of dependencies, which is too much for my taste.
Xdm looks quite ok but doesn't support shutdown/reboot directly out of xfce.

Thank you in advance, Clemens