Network Manager or equivalent - where should I be able to find it?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sun Mar 20 18:22:00 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 05:15:45PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 05:09:34PM +0100, Al Bogner wrote:
> > Am So, 20 Mär 2011 15:44:11 CET schrieb Chris G:
> >
> > > I have just uograded from xubuntu 10.04 to xubuntu 10.10, thus I am
> > > now running xfce 4.6.2.
> > >
> > > I can't find any sort of Network Manager applet or way to view my
> > > Network settings.  It *may* be that because of the slightly odd route
> > > I took to get to xubuntu it never got installed.  Anyway, either I
> > > need to install something or I need to make an applet appear
> > > somewhere, can anyone tell me what I need (or where I need to look)
> > > to be able to see (and hopefully reconfigure) my network settings?
> >
> > which nm-applet
> > /usr/bin/nm-applet
> >
> > Start it manually, configure everything, so it is working, then add
> > nm-applet to the autostart of XFCE, sorry don't know how it is called
> > in English exactly.
> >
> Ah, problem:-
>
>     chris$ /usr/bin/nm-applet &
>     [1] 10409
>     chris$ An instance of nm-applet is already running.
>
> However it's not visible anywhere, how can I get to see it?  :-)

In fact there's something odd going on here. (I have other xubuntu
systems where all seems to be well, not yet upgraded to 10.10 yet
though).

If I kill and restart the nm-applet it all *seems* to work OK but I
still can't see anything, I definitely do have a notification area
though and there are other things visible in it.

    chris$ which nm-applet
    /usr/bin/nm-applet
    chris$ /usr/bin/nm-applet &
    [1] 10409
    chris$ An instance of nm-applet is already running.
    ^C
    [1]+  Exit 1                  /usr/bin/nm-applet
    chris$ ps -ef | grep nm-applet
    chris     2930     1  0 Mar19 ?        00:00:00 nm-applet --sm-disable
    chris    10461  2790  0 17:16 pts/6    00:00:00 grep nm-applet
    chris$ kill -15 2930
    chris$ ps -ef | grep nm-applet
    chris    10467  2790  0 17:16 pts/6    00:00:00 grep nm-applet
    chris$ nm-applet
    ** Message: applet now removed from the notification area
    ** Message: applet now embedded in the notification area
    ** (nm-applet:10469): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0

--
Chris Green