Dual monitor virtual screen switch problem

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Mon Jun 27 23:52:28 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 08:56:29PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > To get Firefox working, you can make several profiles and start them
> > with the -P option. Bit of a pain to keep everything up to date.
>
> I've thought about that, but keeping the configurations, bookmarks,
> history, etc. synced between the different profiles seemed like more
> hassle that it would be worth.

Here is what I do, although you might not want to do it.

I first rename the directories in .mozilla/firefox to something I can
actually understand an not have the stoopid names Firefox selected.

They are Left, Right and NewRight. (Should have been Left, Center and
Right, but I started with two screens and added a third to the right.)

Then I edit profiles.ini:
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0

[Profile0]
Name=Left
IsRelative=1
Path=Left
Default=1

[Profile1]
Name=Right
IsRelative=1
Path=Right

[Profile2]
Name=NewRight
IsRelative=1
Path=NewRight

I have a script for launching programs from the menu's I create:
http://houghi.org/script/00_Personal/launch

Basically they are:
DISPLAY=:0.0 firefox -P Left &
DISPLAY=:0.1 firefox -P Right &
DISPLAY=:0.2 firefox -P NewRight &

I could easily have one script, have it detect the display and then launch
the correct version, but all my launch things are on the center display.
The advantage is that not all three need to be the same size.

This is about starting it. Now about mainaining it. For bookmarks I use
Firefox Sync: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/sync/
I used to use http://www.xmarks.com/ untill they told they stopped and now
it seems they go on. Also great on multiple computers, not just multiple
profiles. I would go for xmarks as it syns bookmarks, history, passwords
and open tabs

I also decided on a 'main' browser that I use to install (and configure)
extentions. Once in a while I empty out the Left and NewRight directories
and copy the content from Left in there.

If you automate it, you could also do perhaps symlinking and see what
directories/files work and wich ones won't work with symlinking. Not all
do.

houghi
--
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
and why. Then do it.