Dual monitor virtual screen switch problem

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 15:34:17 CEST 2011

On 2011-06-07, Ulli Horlacher <framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> I have a new PC with Ubuntu 10.04 (xfce 4.6.1) and 2 monitors.
> Xfce pager is configured with 4 virtual screens.
>
> I arrange the displays with:
>
> xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --auto --right-of DVI-I-2
>
> First, everything looks ok: the monitors have correct resolution and I can
> move the mouse cursor between the monitors.
>
> But when I switch the virtual screens (pager) it is done on both monitors!
> How can I switch the virtual screen on only one monitor?
> For example:
> Monitor 1: screen 1
> Monitor 2: screen 3

You need to define a seperate X display for each monitor.  You'll be
able to move the cursor between monitors, and each monitor will have
it's own independent set o fvirtual desktops.  But, you won't be able
to drag a window from on monitor to another.  And a few very badly
designed programs like Firefox have to have all their windows on the
same display [people have been complaining about this for years].

Here are some excerpts from my xorg.conf file which has three
monitors: DISPLAY is 0:0.0 on the first, 0:0.1 on the second, and
0:0.2 on the third:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Triple"
        Screen      0  "Samsung0"
        Screen      1  "Samsung1" rightof "Samsung0"
        Screen      2  "Acer" leftof "Samsung0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

[...]

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Acer"
        VendorName   "Acer"
        ModelName    "Acer AL1916"
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Samsung0"
        VendorName   "Samsung"
        ModelName    "SyncMaster204B"
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Samsung1"
        VendorName   "Samsung"
        ModelName    "SyncMaster204B"
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "nvidia0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "Quadro NVS 290A"
        BusID       "PCI:3:0:0"
        Screen       0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "nvidia1"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "Quadro NVS 290A"
        BusID       "PCI:3:0:0"
        Screen       1
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "nvidia2"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "C51PV FX6150"
        BusID       "PCI:0:5:0"
        Screen       0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Samsung0"
        Device     "nvidia0"
        Monitor    "Samsung0"
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Samsung1"
        Device     "nvidia1"
        Monitor    "Samsung1"
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Acer"
        Device     "nvidia2"
        Monitor    "Acer"
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm having an
                                  at               emotional outburst!!