xfconf - what do /panels/panel-0/position values mean?

Robert Rothenberg robrwo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 18:08:34 CEST 2011

I am writing a script that makes use of xfconf-query values, and would
like to know what the values in /panels/panel-X/position mean. I have
not found any documentation.

I assume that x and y are the left-top coordinates of the panel, if it
is free-floating. But what does the p value mean?

It doesn't seem to have any relationship to the enumerated positions
from http://docs.xfce.org/api/libxfce4panel/libxfce4panel-Standard-Enumerations.html.
(An auto-hidden panel on Xubuntu has p=8 with the y coordinate set to
a value off screen, and a non-autohidden panel on the top has p=6.)
Playing around with creating new panels and checking the value hasn't
given me any hints on what the values mean.

I am writing this script to work with machines running either Xfce 4.6
or Xfce 4.8, so any differences between would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rob