[OT] Re: App-Armor profile for Skype with XFCE

Al Bogner xfce at ml093.pinguin.uni.cc
Thu Feb 24 15:47:46 CET 2011

Am Do, 24 Feb 2011 15:26:13 CET schrieb Landry Breuil:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 24.02.2011, 13:06 +0100 schrieb Al Bogner:
> >> Am Do, 24 Feb 2011 11:50:29 CET schrieb Christoph Wickert:
>
> >> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Skype
> >> Privacy and security
> >> A lot of people do not want to run Skype because it tries to
> >> collect data from your system which it shouldn't do. It tries to
> >> read your Firefox profile for whatever reason (said to be because
> >> of autodetecting proxy settings but could be more).
> >>
> >> To avoid such things you can use AppArmor to protect your system.
> >
> > So you want AppAmor to block some parts of Skype? This has nothing
> > to do with Xfce, it will exactly the same with GNOME, KDE or
> > whatever desktop you run. Please address your questions to the
> > AppArmor people or your distribution.
>
> I think what the OP wanted was the list of "xfce's config files"
> accessed by skype
> so that it could be added to AppArmor's config. Your best bet is to
> strace skype and check for .config/xfce4 in the files accessed, but i
> doubt skype takes the effort to parse those files.

I think that here are the most experienced people with xfce. So maybe
there are people here who know, what to do that skype cannot sniffle in
the system. If you think this is off topic here, I am sorry. As already
written, the example I posted, is for KDE-users.

> Or even better, don't use Skype, if you care about freedom and
> privacy.

If you can explain me how to use SIP with TCP please send me a pm. My
problem is, that my mobile internet access works with SIP and UDP only
in 1 direction because I have a private IP from my provider and
cannot setup a forwarding at the firewall of the ISP of course. Skype
works in both directions, because it uses TCP, I am told.

Al