xfce-laucher question

Klaus Dittrich kladit at arcor.de
Tue Feb 1 19:11:10 CET 2011

I am new to xfce and installed xfce-4.8 from the sources.

Now I wanted to put an icon on the desktop which when clicked at
should start firefox.

The location of firefox is /opt/firefox/bin/ and is already in my PATH.
I am able to start firefox in a terminal by just typing firefox.

I tried to do that with "Create Launcher".

I filled in firefox for "Name" as well as for "Command" and clicked
at "Create".

On the desktop a gray icon titled firefox.desktop appeared.

After clicking at that gray icon a terminal with a message widget
inside appeared
"Failed to execute child process "/home/klaus/Desktop/firefox.desktop".

chmod 755 /home/klaus/Desktop/firefox.desktop

and clicking again at that gray icon, nothing happened.

firefox.desktop has this content ..

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=firefox
Comment=
Exec=firefox
Icon=
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

Even more strange, when I try to change the properties of
that desktop icon I am told "Kind: text/plain type" and
"Open With: Terminal".

So what do I wrong. Any help appreciated.

--
Klaus