ANNOUNCE: xfce4-panel 4.9.0 released

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 30 22:47:50 CET 2011

On 31/12/2011 05:32, Nick Schermer wrote:

> Yeey, first unstable release of the panel for 4.10! Most noticeable
> change is the new Deskbar mode

Some more comments on the deskbar mode.

ATM the deskbar mode is a framework + some core panel plugins adapted to
it (applications menu, launcher, tasklist, etc). There are still plugins
waiting for their turn, most notably the pager but also the clock,
systray and action buttons.

It's probably the best time to start working on third-party plugins. The
deskbar-mode API feels fairly solid now and that's the main reason we
are including it in the release. In many cases it will be as easy as
setting the "small" property of the plugin to "true".

The original vertical mode is somewhat buggy and/or could be improved in
many other ways but for the time being we chose not to mess with it, so
that people who are currently using it and like it, will continue to get
the same experience. People who are not happy with it will likely prefer
the deskbar mode anyway.

There are also some bugs we are aware of. For example, the DnD support
in the panel is still a work in progress.

That's it for now. Have fun and let us know if there are any problems
with the panel.

Andrzej