genmon not appearing at startup

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Dec 29 19:13:09 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 05:49:17PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> I think this may be a further symptom of the problem I reported a while ago.
>
> I have a clean xubuntu 11.10 installation with only a few additions from
> standard.
>
> I have installed xfce4-genmon-plugin from the Ubuntu repository, I have
> configured it to call a simple python script.  When installed and
> configured it worked as expected displaying some text in the panel.
>
> However it doesn't reappear after logging out and logging back in or
> after a system restart.  The process runs:-
>
>     chris$ ps -ef | grep genmon
>     chris     1867  1766  0 17:35 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/xfce4-genmon-plugin/xfce4/panel-plugins/xfce4-genmon-plugin  32 31457342 genmon Generic Monitor Show output of a command.
>
> but there is most definitely nothing appearing in the panel.
>

> So what's wrong?  I really have a pretty standard xubuntu system now
> with no customisation.  It used to work well on 10.04 and 10.10.

Further testing indicates that it's *exactly* the problem I reported
before.  Any 'Command' given in the Generic Monitor properties only gets
executed (at the specified interval) after you open the properties.  It
doesn't get executed by genmon at system startup, therefore nothing
appears until you open and close the genmon properties.  If the Label
box isn't ticked in properties then nothing appears and there's no way
to pop up the genmon properties to start it.

--
Chris Green