ANNOUNCE: tumbler 0.1.23 released

Andrzej ndrwrdck at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 4 14:46:03 CET 2011

On 12/04/2011 09:41 PM, Nick Schermer wrote:

> What is tumbler?
> ================
>
> Tumbler is a D-Bus service for applications to request thumbnails for
> various URI schemes and MIME types. It is an implementation of the
> thumbnail management D-Bus specification described on
>
>    http://live.gnome.org/ThumbnailerSpec

Is it possible to obtain a favicon of an arbitrary URL using tumbler?
I've read the spec but I couldn't find a direct answer to this question.

It would be great to be able to D&D URLs from e.g. Firefox to the XFCE
panel/desktop to create launchers. One problem with it is where to get
favicons from and how to store/cache them.

Not that I'm planning to implement it (it's a bit too difficult for me
atm), just throwing an idea. Actually, judging from some comments in the
panel code, I'm pretty sure it is not a new idea.

Andrzej