Terminal not launching with different config files

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue Aug 30 20:54:43 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 06:54:15PM +0100, Richard Kenyon wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 19:43 +0200, houghi wrote:
> > As I do a lot of editing and playing around with the system, having one
> > specific for root makes me make less errors then doing su each time and
> > is less cumbersome then doing sudo each time. Yes, I am fully aware of the
> > dangers of having a terminal with root and that is why I want it to be
> > clear that that ones IS root.
>
> Why don't you just use sudo?

To cumbersome when you use it all the time.
Using sudo:				Being root
sudo vi /etc/whatever			vi /et/whatever
sudo /sbin/something			something
sudo /usr/sbin/rcapache restart		rcapache restart
sudo /usr/local/sbin/what		what

So I do not need to type in the whole path, nor do I need to type sudo as
I am already root. There are ways around that. Those will make it _FOR ME_
more prone to do errors.

To me it is also much better to differentiate that 'houghi' is a user and
'root' is the administrator of the machine. Using 'sudo' all the time,
every time will make that difference disapear. It will mean that user
'houghi' can do what he wants.

The next step would be to edit sudoers as it is just a single user
machine.

The few times I still use sudo is if I ssh to the machine and only need to
do one or two commands max. The moment I need to do more I will use `su -`
and get stuff done.

houghi
--
Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such
hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest