XFCE 4.8.0 logs out instead of shutting down

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 19:33:06 CEST 2011

On 08/24/2011 12:17 PM, Dennis Gutowski wrote:
> to gilbert, i never recieve that dialogue, it just logs out.
>
> Could this be a bug of my own doing? I have several DE's installed and even
> fvwm crystal, because I was shopping around for a new interface, because of
> my serious dislike for Unity. I went with XFCE because I have been using
> XFCE on several of my client's computers for a years, and I am more
> comfortable with it then any other choice.

I'm thinking that it's more likely that the issue I'm seeing is
self-inflicted. Closing a bunch of apps very quickly and then hitting
Alt-F4 on the session, two right arrow, and then hitting Return is
probably a more impetuous approach to shutting down than most users
take, but its my usual method.

A number of years ago I wound up in dependency hell (Red Hat) from
fiddling with a bunch of desktop environments simultaneously on one
system, so I suppose what you're seeing might be a result of multiple
DEs being present. But I've had the impression that package management
and system robustness have improved enough over the years that this
shouldn't be much of a problem these days.

I think I've seen one DE step on a configuration in some central
location (update-alternatives or some such) that might adversely affect
the behavior or settings in another DE, but I don't remember seeing
anything like what you're reporting. Am I correct in thinking that you
are selecting Shut Down on the dialog and are then just getting dumped
at the login prompt?

Oops, I see that Yves-Alexis Perez has made a suggestion. (I should
learn to read all of the messages extant before starting to ramble.) If
you do as suggested, I'm sure we'll all be interested to learn what's
actually happening.

Regards,
Gilbert